The history of the Heroes’ Temple is intertwined with that of Europe’s largest synagogue, and the extensive building complex behind it. The area next to the synagogue was once occupied by residential buildings. The complex accompanying the Dohány street synagogue arose after zoning changes in the neighbourhood that took place at the end of the 19th century. The Jewish community erected the Heroes’s Temple, together with the arts and leisure centre (today the Jewish Museum), and the garden (today a memorial garden and cemetary), in 1931. These places have much symbolic significance today for the history of Jewish – non-Jewish coexistence in Hungary. Walk around the building and learn about the past and the present of the Pest Jewish community.